A guide to Blackjack.
Blackjack is the most widely played casino card game in the world and is very popular in online casinos. Blackjack online is sometimes fast-paced and a lot of fun. It also requires strategy to avoid going bust or even to hit a hand that equals 21 exactly.
Read about Blackjack tactics and rules below.
Try Your Blackjack Skills at These Casinos
free spins without deposit
The Basics of BlackjackThere are some very basic blackjack rules that can get you started.
If you get 21 points on the first two cards dealt, it is called a “blackjack.” It’s not a blackjack if the dealer achieves 21.
If you reach a score that is higher than the dealer’s without going over 21, you win. You can allow the dealer to draw more cards until the dealer’s hand exceeds 21. The values of the cards are as follows:
- King, queens, and jacks are worth 10 points.
- An ace is 1 point or 11 points, depending on the other cards in a hand. If a player has an ace and a face card (king, queen, or jack), the hand equals 21 because the ace is automatically worth 11 points.
- All other cards have a numeric value equal to the number that is on the card.
After players receive the first two cards, they can tell the dealer to “hit” them with another card. The dealer also takes another card.
If players see that they are still far from 21, they may ask to be hit again. If they come close to 21 or reach 21 and the dealer has a lower hand or they go bust when they hit again, the player wins.
The dealer must bust for the player to win. In addition, the dealer must continue to hit until the cards are worth at least 17 or more points. If the player and dealer have the same hand, it is called a “push.” In this case, the player doesn’t win or lose anything. If all players bust, the round ends with the dealer not having to play his or her hand.
There are many rule variations to blackjack. Knowing the blackjack rules relative to the game you’re playing or wish to play can have an influence on the blackjack tactic that you use. You can also tilt the blackjack odds more in your favor with the strategy that you use, although it is still largely a game of chance.
There are certain terms that a player should know when playing blackjack. Those terms are:
- Hit – You are telling the dealer to give you another card.
- Stand – You are telling the dealer to give you no more cards. This decision usually is made when you are close to 21 or have 21 or you are comfortable with the hand value.
- Split – The first two cards in the hand have an identical value. You have the option to split the cards into two separate hands by making a second bet equal to the first bet. This is done outside of the betting box. The dealer then separates the cards into two hands and draws another card on each hand. The two separate hands are then played out just like a single hand. It is possible for one hand to lose and one to win.
- Double down – The player can decide to increase the initial bet by 100 percent instead of standing after receiving a single card. This second bet is placed in a betting box that is placed adjacent to the original bet. This is an area where you will need to read the rules because some variations of blackjack online may not allow the bet amounts to be increased by certain amounts. The non-controlling players can decide not to double their wager, but they are bound by the decision of the controlling player to take only one card.
- Surrender – Not all games offer the surrender option, which involves the dealer verifying whether there is a blackjack and then taking half of the player’s bet. The player is then finished with that hand.
- Insurance – When the dealer has an ace as an upcard, the player can take “insurance.” This is a side bet that isn’t included with the initial bet. The idea behind insurance is for protection against a dealer blackjack since the odds of the other card in the dealer’s hand being a 10 card is very high. The proceeds from the insurance help make up for some of the money lost.
The House Edge
The house edge for blackjack online is lower than the variation in some online card games. For instance, the house advantage on a single deck may be just 0.17 percent. This gives a player better odds of winning. The more decks used in a game of blackjack, the lower the blackjack odds for the player.
Before playing a game of blackjack, make sure you brush up on the rules since they can vary based on the venue.
If you have any free money from the casino, use it to stretch your legs. Bonus cash can go a long way in helping you find a blackjack game you like. It can also help you in your development of a blackjack tactic that helps you.
This is a very fun game because of its level of excitement. The more you know before you play, the higher your chances of winning.